Monday 27 May 2013

Sin City

The bar is loud and hectic, full of all the local kids out to get trashed on a Friday night. I looked around, hoping that the girls from the party wouldn't be there. The day after the party the two of them tracked me down, wanting to continue the conversation. According to the two, Rhyan and Audrey, I was Audrey's younger sister no matter how much I try and convince them otherwise. It seemed like everywhere I went in town people agreed with them, always calling me Blair and thinking I'm joking when I correct them. 

“Hey Blair! Did I just see you pull up in a '63 Mercury Comet?” A guy who I recognized as a local mechanic walked up to me.
“Yes I did, and for the last time my name is Kayleigh Samantha Moss!”
“Riiight, this game again.”
“It's not a game. What is it with everyone in this town?” I could feel the irritation begin to rise inside me.
“Whatever you say Kayleigh,” he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “How about I buy you a drink and we start over?”
“Alright, but only because I'm going to prove to you that I'm not the crazy one. I'll take a beer.” I point over to a secluded table away from all the chaos. “I'll go grab us a table.”
“I like a woman who can tell a man what to do” he winks at me before walking off to the bar.

After ten minutes of waiting the mechanic walked over carrying a pitcher of beer. He sat down, sliding a glass across the tabletop to me. "I thought I was going to be proven crazy” He took a long sip from his cup and gave me a smug look. I shot him my best dirty look, if he was going to be cocky then he could wait. I slowly poured myself another drink...and then leaned across the table resting my head on my hands.
“First things first, what's your name?” I whisper to him.
“You mean you've never heard of me? I'm Sodapop Curtis.” His voice is filled with humor.
“Clearly you're not as popular as you like to think,” I accuse. If he wants to poke fun, then I can play his game better than he can.
“Are you planning on telling me about yourself anytime soon?”
“What do you want to know?”
“I’m – curious. Tell me about your life.”
“I moved here about a week ago.”
“Why?” The humor dripping in his voice.
“I graduated and wanted to get out of my parents house.”
“What was home like?”
“Fine. My mom works as a school teacher with mentally disabled kids and my dad is retired from the army. I like them fine enough.” This conversation is not going how I expected.
“Do you want to go home with me?”
“Why would you ask that?” I couldn't hide the shock on my face.
“Because -- If you really aren't Blair Matthews, there would be nothing keeping you from coming home with me tonight and fucking my brains out.” He leaned across the table so that his face was inches from mine. I looked deep into his eyes, trying to read him.
“You’re so… domineering,” I whisper.
“Blair wouldn't cross that line, her family and Jelly would get in the way. Kayleigh has nothing stopping her, so why the fuck not?”

Knowing that the only way to convince this town that I'm not who they think I am, I filled in the few inches between our faces and kissed him. I laugh in my head when he's taken by surprise. After a second I go to pull away, when he pulls my head closer to his with a free arm. The kiss deepens and a soft moan escapes him mouth.
"I'll take that as a yes." He grabs my hand and leads me out the door beside us and into the night.

* * *
I woke up the next morning to a ray of light washed over us. Our clothes were thrown all over the room, and the only thing keeping my bare skin from exposing was a thin white sheet. I rolled over to see Soda sprawled across the bed beside me. I couldn't help but giggle at how boy-like he looked in his sleep. I heard sounds coming from the TV in the next room and people crashing and banging around.

Wondering who Soda lived with, and not being able to fight the urge to go to the bathroom I stood up and wrapped the sheet around myself. Walking into the living room I came face to face with a group of guys, either roommates or friends, lounging around watching TV. There were two scary looking guys sitting on the couch drinking beers, while another sat on the floor inches from a Micky re-run that was on. After a minute they seemed to notice I was standing there and the room went silent.

"Umm...Hi guys. I'm just going to pee...Soda's still in be..."

"Kayleigh who are you..." I heard Soda come up behind me. "Fuck!"
I turned to see what he was cursing at. His gaze was held by the boy sitting on the couch wearing a grey wife beater with Mickey Mouse on the front. The expression 'if looks could kill' came to mind as he started yelling and jumped up. Soda took a few steps backward while protesting, "Two-Bit...It's...It's not what you think. She's not...We didn't..." Then the door slammed and the locked clicked.

10 comments:

  1. Damn the kid gets around. Is Soda's dick chocolate flavored or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm....what the actual fuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You screwed Soda!? What the hell are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's just... great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dayuuum bitch! Even when you're batshit crazy all the boys want your lovely lady lumps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say... I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete